3.21.2010

The Spice Dilemma Solved

Last October I wrote about my dilemma with storing spices in the kitchen. The spices were crammed into a little cabinet and I couldn't find what I needed without removing half the spices from the cabinet. Also, I have been known to purchase a spice I needed for a recipe when I actually had it, I just couldn't find it the mess. Y'all had some great suggestions. Thanks!

I finally found a solution that worked in my kitchen, the elfa storage system, from The Container Store. I wish I could say that it was a great deal but it wasn't. I definitely paid more than I planned to pay. However, it works perfect!


Before



After- In Alphabetical Order


I like the elfa storage system because the pieces are sold separately; so you can custom design what works best for your storage needs. First I purchased the vertical rod that hangs from the top of the door to the bottom for $14.99. Next I purchased the hooks which attach the pole to the door for $9.99. Then I purchase the storage baskets that I needed. I love the different sizes available... spice rack, narrow, deep, etc... Since the spices are now on their rack I have an extra cabinet in the kitchen. Yay!

If you're looking for a good way to organize your spices or anything else, I definitely suggest The Container Store!



24 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

My inlaws have this same rack on their pantry door - it saves so much space and makes it so easy to find the spice you want!

Jill said...

Looks great! I can't believe how many spices you have!

LWLH said...

Our spice cabinet def. looks like the before and it is such a pain. Great shelving, I will have to look into that.

carissa said...

so neat and tidy... great idea. i'm so copying you.

Lexilooo said...

I like that! I love how they are alphabetical too! If I had a pantry, I'd do something similar.

the pink prep said...

this is awesome!! no more cramming on the shelves! i would totally do this if i had a big door in my kitchen, and i love the o.c.d. factor of alphabetizing them! good for you, looks great. I'm sure dinner will be ready MUCH faster now! :-)

Sandra said...

It looks awesome!! And yay for an empty cabinet!! xoxo

TanyaLea said...

Okay....I definitely need that! I remember your post very well, as I was eagerly anticipating what your faithful bloggy friends might help you come up with. LOVE the end result. A little spendy. Yes. But sometimes ya gotta pay for good ol' organization and some peace of mind!! :)

Hugs,
Tanya

Juliana said...

Oh Jill-I am so glad that I found your blog and your organization is just wonderful. I can see we have that in common already ha! I am now following!

Danielle Moss said...

That IS pretty cool! Very organized :)

Kristie said...

The Container Store is one of the best stores ever!

Blessings,
Kristie

Amy Maze said...

that is really awesome and something i need to consider doing! i need more cabinet storage and am so tired of hunting for spices! of course all of my aprons are hanging on my pantry door...i'll have to move them. but i think i have a place in mind. did you hang the rack yourself? usually if something involves more than a nail i have to call handyman...oh the dilemma of us single gals!

Heather said...

Good job organizing!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Okay, that is an awesome idea! I have the exact same problem with our spice cabinet!

midnight macaroons said...

I just love the Container store. I go to the one off of Post Oak by the Galleria. Love it!

As for shopping...I'd love to go shopping with you. I'll have to drive over to S.A. for the weekend. I've been wanting to check out some of the antique shops over there (loving your new chair). This summer we'll have to make it happen.

Hope things are going fantastic on your new job.

Gigi

Emily Kathleen said...

Looks wonderful! I love organization...my spices are alphabetized too!

I adore your blogger background/header!

Socially Savvy said...

This system is the best! And you alphabetized - wow!

Jules said...

It looks great and I love that you have everything in alpha order. That will make life so much easier in the kitchen!

AmyT said...

OMG I love it!! I SO need something like that. Mine looks like your top pic!! I tip everything over every time I try to look for something.....it's terrible - I rearrange it all the time - and it goes right back!! And ohhh How I love my spices!!!! Great idea!

In This Wonderful Life said...

I've always wanted a door I could use one of these on!! great buy :)

Abbi said...

it looks great and you didn't have to take up pantry space! great idea!!
you're always so organized!

Spice Rack said...

Spice rack really do saves space and time. It organizes you spices and you can find the spices you desire easily.

It is really needed to have spice racks in the kitchen and in the dining table.

Tokyo Girl said...

What a great way to keep organized! I've been looking for a spice rack that fits in my tiny kitchen, and it's surprisingly hard to find!

Unknown said...

Spice Rack
Drawer spice racks are another style that spice rack has. It definitely helps spices not to depreciate their flavor even for a long time. Its fabulous design makes every kitchen clean at all times.