11.30.2009

What I've Been Up To...

Soup

Last week I had a few days off before Thanksgiving. My friend, Amy M, recently blogged about making homemade soup and freezing the soup in individual serving sizes for later. I LOVE this idea. I’ve done it before but with my crazy work schedule (the past 2 years), I haven’t had much time. In the past, I've used Tupperware containers for freezing soup. Amy has a much better idea.

Amy suggested using freezer bags. She said, “Simply put the desired amount in a baggy, let the air out, and seal it. Then lay the baggies on a cookie sheet inside your freezer so they can freeze lying flat. After they are frozen stack them up and store them (standing up) in a small basket.”



GREAT idea! I made 4 pots of soup, Chicken Gumbo, Shrimp Etouffee, Corn Chowder, and Turkey Chili. I also made labels for my soup baggies. Clearly, I know what is what; I just love labels. :) I followed Amy’s directions for freezing and storing and here’s the result. Yay… I’m so excited. This will be perfect for nights I arrive home late and the hundreds of days I don’t feel like cooking.





NYC

I’ve been planning outfits for my NYC trip. It's all about the outfits and photo opportunities. I'm just kidding but not really. :) My sister and I used to pack this way for summer camp. One year the camp sent letters home saying, "Camp is not a fashion show. Your kids don't need to change outfits twice a day." Whatever, I despise being told what to wear. One year my district manager purchased polo shirts with our company logo on the pocket. He asked us to wear them to a meeting, I didn't wear it, not happening! Anyhoo...

I can’t wait for NYC this year. My sister and I put together a tentative itinerary. Our itinerary is so great; I get the chills when I think about it. We love to be anal and organized. You can check out my other anal itinerary for Danielle’s visit to San Antonio here.

Day Outfits~ Unfortunately, I'll have to wear a coat because it will be cold.



Night Outfits


Christmas Decorating

I decorated the townhouse for Christmas on Saturday and Sunday. Yikes, it’s a lot of work. I’ll post more on this subject later.

Hope y’all are having a Happy Monday.

P.S. Don't forget to enter my skincare giveaway. It's ending tomorrow at midnight.

25 comments:

jlc said...

omgoodness i can eat you with a spoon!!! Seriously night and day outfits!?!?! too cute!!

Tippa Glover said...

There is really nothing better than NYC at Christmas time! I love it....the lights, decorations, chill in the air, ahhh! LOVE IT! My favorite time of the year and favorite season of the year! A great combination!!!

I was just commenting on Amy's blog about the soup! What a genius idea! I love freezing soup, but it ends up taking up half of my freezer!

Have fun in NYC! Cannot wait to hear all about it!

Miss Sweet Tea said...

Wow I am impressed! With the soup and the outfits...you are going to look so adorable!!! xoxo

LWLH said...

Such a great idea!
I dont eat much soup but if I did I would def. try that! : )

Lexilooo said...

I love the idea of freezing soup! I should do the same.

I love NYC this time of year! Try to go to Serendipity, it is so good!

Erin said...

You are hilarious =)

And I love the outfits!

I just booked a trip to DC in January to go visit a close friend, and I'm thinking I'm going to adopt your outfit enthusiasm. I've never been to a super cold place like that ever. I want to look cute while I'm there, but I also want to be warm. I have some major shopping/coordinating ahead of me. You'll have to let me know how it goes so I can make sure I'm prepared!

Ashley Lauren said...

I love your pink dress and your black and white skirt! So cute :) I always plan out my outfits for trips by hanging them on my shower curtain rod, ha!

BroncoMom said...

Have a wonderful time. There is NO place as magical as New York during the holidays!!!!

Sarah said...

That's a great idea for freezing the soup!

Amy Maze said...

girl, you are rockin' it on the soups!! doesn't it just make you feel so domestic and prepared to have that much soup frozen? i LOVE my stash! i love your houndstooth scarf! very cute!!

Jill said...

I love the outfits!!! I might try the soup freezing thing - great idea!

Shoshanah said...

I love soups in general, and I think freezing them in individual portions is a great idea in general. But freezer them flat makes it so much better, and has the potential to same so much room in a freezer.

That Pink Girl said...

You always have the cutest clothes! I need to do much better, I've fallen in the ATL "uniform" trap for work.

Abbi said...

that's such a great idea! i know a few people who do that and also with meals!!
girl love, love ALL of the outfits!! hope you have a great time! do LOTS of shopping!

Jane said...

That is such a great idea. I need to make soup asap!

PS: The outfits are perfect for NYC!

midnight macaroons said...

I'm looking forward to your post regarding your trip to NYC. I've always wanted to travel to NYC during the holidays. It looks like a Christmas dream. Have a wonderful and safe trip.

p.s. I heart my deep freeze. It saves me from eating out on those days I'm too exhausted to cook. Defrost is a beautiful thing. Those soups look delish. Yum!

Danielle Moss said...

That is BRILLIANT. I hope we can make a really fancy vegetable soup when I visit. I know veggie soup isn't fancy but I want one with lots of cut up vegetables. So I'm calling that fancy.

It's almost 2:00 am and I'm still up. The deadline to work on this month's collab kit was today. Of course I didn't start till 9:00. And I missed the gym. Boo.

I'm so jealous of your trip to NY. I hope I get to visit NY in 2010.

Rachel H. said...

I love the idea of freezing soup, and you should totally post your recipes that you made! I need some soup recipe ideas, especially for when I don't want to cook after the baby gets here!

Lauren said...

Soooo jealous, can I go to NYC with you? haha!!! :)

Jules said...

That is such a great idea for freezing soup and such a space saver too! The corn chowder and chili sounds delish.

Your trip to NYC is going to be so much fun. I love that you have the outfits up on hangers. That is such a great idea to get a visual of the whole look. I love to plan things out too. I really love the two dresses in the bottom pic on the left. You’re going to look fabulous!

Sweet Simplicity said...

You are incredibly organized! I'm impressed.

Jennifer said...

Love that soup idea! I'm gonna do that!

melissa said...

I am laughing about the camp's
letter, 'not a fashion show'!! I was always the same and still am.
Hope you and your sister have a fabulous time in NY. Can't wait to hear all about it. I missed going this year (usually go every Nov).

In This Wonderful Life said...

oh, and that soup....um GREAT idea!!!

In This Wonderful Life said...

LOVING THOSE OUTFITS!!! I am so super duper jealous!! We aren't making it to NYC before this year ends :( I'll miss it and I'll pretend I'm there when you post your pics haha!