1.25.2008

Fabric Shopping

I LOVE fabric. My mom and I went fabric shopping last week at this great little shop in Kerrville, TX. We were in the store for over 2 hours. It was so much fun. We bought some great pieces. The strawberry fabric (in the first picture) is for an apron. The rest of the fabric is for dresses.

My mom is the most amazing seamstress. She can make anything! In college I wanted this great dress for my sorority formal. Hope Brady wore it on Days of Our Lives so of course, it was a must have for my formal. I came home for Spring Break and we found it at the Houston Galleria. I couldn't believe we found the dress. Unfortunately, it didn't fit and it was very expensive. So, my mom made it! It ended up looking and fitting better than the dress at the Galleria.

My mom will be making the dresses with my new fabric and I'll work on the apron. I'm in the process on learning how to sew. It is SO hard and I lose patience with it. My major was fashion merchandising. Sewing was a requirement for my major but I don't remember much from the class. I do remember having to make a button down shirt with a pocket. Our professor said we could work on the projects outside of class if we had access to a sewing machine.

A friend from my hometown was going home for the weekend and ask if I'd like to send anything home with him. I knew exactly what I would send home with him... my sewing project. I called mom and told her I would be sending her my shirt and ask her if she could complete the pocket. She actually did it. My professor was amazed at how great my pocket was. Thank goodness she didn't ask me to do another pocket in class.

I think I have a long way to go with my sewing!








My Favorite Piece



5 comments:

Danielle Moss said...

I LOVE these fabrics. I really wish I knew how to sew. I love the idea of being able to make throw pillows (and aprons, of course).

Can't wait to see the finished products. Good luck with your apron!!

Glad the stencils made it! Have fun making those banners!

Sorry I missed your call today. I was actually going to call you at around 12 but I thought it would be too early your time. I'll talk to you soon!

Danielle

Lori said...

Hey Jill! I think I know your Mom!!
Your blog is beautiful! That's funny about the sewing project! Stick with it and keep practicing, you'll be glad one day!
I love all the fabric you picked out, they're all beautiful!! I love going to the fabric store and can't believe (with your Mom) that you made it out in 2 hours?!! :D

Dawn said...

Hi Jill,

I stopped by from Danielle's blog. I LOVE the fabric!! I just started sewing again in the past 6 months, and am having a blast. The first of any pattern I make, I chalk it up to trial, but I have made aprons (ladies & kids), and am tackling some little girl's dress patterns. I just got my mom sewing again, in fact she bought a brand new machine last weekend, she used to make lots of my clothes when I was little. I look forward to seeing your dresses!!

Lori said...

Haha, no I didn't see Oprah~that's funny! I picked some up today and was tempted to try the 'cherry' flavor but thought I better stick to what I'm use too!
You're Mom is so sweet, I always enjoy chatting with her, although it's been awhile. She's probably busy sewing! :)
Thanks for the prayers, I can't wait to see my daughter either. sigh I will continue to pray for you to meet your husband!! Now I know who I'm praying for. :)
Enjoy the rest of your weekend, thanks for the email and thanks for sharing my blog (way back when) with your Mom!

Danielle Moss said...

Ok, you KNOW which blog name I am voting for, but I am holding off until a few other people vote. I wouldn't want to influence anyone.

I'll talk to you tomorrow. Have a safe drive.