8.02.2009

Hi, My Name is Jill. I'm 34 and I have 3 Dinner Forks.



Y'all, I'm not joking! I really have 3 dinner forks. THREE! I bought a set of flatware, service for 4, about 6 years ago. Somehow I lost 1 dinner fork; so I have 3. Nice! This is what can happen when you haven't had the chance to register yet.

I've had several friends offer to buy me an additional dinner fork so I would have a complete set of service for 4. I really appreciate the offer but I want a matching set like every other girl in the USA.

I make jokes about having 3 dinner forks all the time. However, I really don't feel sorry for myself. Trust me, I have had my moments but not in the last several years. I could buy a new set of flatware but I usually don't care and when I do I can't find anything I like.

I'M SO HAPPY. Last Friday, I purchased a set of everyday dishes that I adore. I haven't stopped smiling since the purchase. Don't worry, I haven't been using paper plates since college. I've had a set of average plates, service for 4 that I purchased from the Pier One Clearance Center in Houston (now closed). The plates were $1.00 each, which is good because I wasn't even breaking 25,000 per year at my first job out of college. My kids will hate that story someday but I will still tell them about the "hard days" over and over. :)

Check out my new dishes. I bought the cream and a blue-green colors for a GREAT price! I love to mix and match dishes. Maybe this is something I've learned from always have mis-matched pieces. My favorite thing about the new dishes~ they're girly and shabby chic.

Now I just need to find a full set of matching flatware that I like, then I can be a real adult. :)



29 comments:

That Pink Girl said...

LOVE the new dishes - so beautiful! Do you know what brand of flatware you have? Oneida sells individual pieces on-line! (I'm bettin some of the others do too) I have 24 dinner forks, can you believe that? I always said that I wanted to have enough plates and forks to host a shower. So 24 sounded like a good number!

Micah said...

I love these dishes! I need new ones myself--we've moved numerous times since we got them (thank you, Hurricane Katrina) and they're getting pretty chipped up.

Lexilooo said...

those dishes are so, so pretty! I love them!

also, if it makes you feel better, my first job after I finished my master's (I did that right after college) was working on the hill for one of my congressmen, and my starting salary was exactly $25,000...six months later I had a 2K raise, which was pretty darn exciting, I have to say!

Anonymous said...

those bowls are beautiful!!

Ashley Lauren said...

I love them! I laughed at the 3 dinner forks thing- for the longest time I only had two butter knives. Totally wasn't a big deal when I didn't have a dishwasher, but once I moved into a place with a dishwasher, the knioves would always sit in there until I had a full load! Finally I got a few more at the dollar store, haha.

ams said...

Those are so cute!!! Good luck finding the perfect flatware set :)

midnight macaroons said...

Remember life isn't about how many forks you own but how you use the ones you have....

Love the new Shabby set!!!

Katie said...

I love those dishes! I'm a little jealous ... wish I had seen something like that when I registered!

sparrowsandsparkles said...

your post title cracked me up! I LOVE your new dishes - they are so so pretty. Ballard Designs usually has some pretty flatware. You may want to check out their site.

LWLH said...

Love dishes look great and what a steal! : )

Sweet Simplicity said...

Those are gorgeous!! I love your post title! haha!

Aubrey said...

Those are beautiful dishes. I got mine at Walmart a while ago but I still have all of them so I'm not replacing them anytime soon. I know what you mean about not having something because you haven't registered yet. I haven't even had a housewarming party for my new house and I've lived here for almost six months now. I probably will never have one.

d.a.r. said...

Those dishes are absolutely gooooorrrgeous!

Woman Interrupted said...

I had to smile at your post, because I was forever borrowing stuff if I wanted to invite anyone over (pre marriage days.)

I just thought of a fun post...what all would you pick if you were registering today?

Taryn said...

Very pretty!!

CAC muffin said...

oh man i love those dishes what a great deal!

Jules said...

I love the new everyday dishes and the fact that you mixed and matched. I'm a big fan of the shabby chic look!

Don't feel too bad about the forks. We got service for 8 for the wedding and are already down to 6 forks. Where did they go? I couldn't even tell you!

Jennifer said...

LOVE those dishes! So pretty!

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

I love those dishes! They seem so perfect for you. Who are they by?

If it makes you feel any better I have too many forks and too many plates with no need for them! 3 would be easier to clean :) China and the silverware, Fiesta and the flatware, Polish pottery and some serving flatware, and crystal. You can imagine how that works in a house with 8 cabinets and 0 closets. Mmm. I'll take a few plates and forks any day :)

Your sister said...

I like these. where did you find them?

Amy Maze said...

love the dishes...I was looking at the exact same ones for my new house actually! I also like the shabby chic ones at target. I did find a full set of 8 piece flatware at a yard sale this summer for ...are you ready...$1.00!!!!!!! It has knives, forks, soup spoons, teaspoons, and serving spoons. I really couldn't believe I lucked up on such a good deal right when i needed it. they had never been used. Anyway, enjoy your dishes and good luck finding flatware!

Sara said...

These are so pretty! I just discovered Home Goods and they have great deals on great things for your home.

AmyT said...

I love the new dishes!!!!!!!!! SCORE!!!!

Petunia said...

I LOVE your new dishes!
Why is it that the forks always seem to disappear? I have lost several. If I were to do it over, I'd register for at least 12-15 place settings! Dishes break, too, so I always get extras now! :)

Gussy Sews said...

those dishes are awesome! i love them! :)

GUSSY

In This Wonderful Life said...

Love the new dishes!! They are so pretty!

all i need is love... said...

Those are so pretty! They are so YOU!

melissa said...

Beautiful dishes,Jill! I have similar -in cream only though. Love the mixing of colors

Katy said...

Don't feel bad about the 3 forks. I have a knife block that is missing a steak knife because I sent it home with a cake I baked for my ex two years ago. We're definitely registering for a new one.