7.19.2009

Gigantic Zucchini



Can y’all believe the size of the zucchini my sister and brother-in-law picked up at the Farmer’s Market in Omaha? It’s bigger than Daisy! Jenn asked me for my Zucchini Bread Recipe. It’s from one of my favorite cookbooks, Back To The Table. I thought I'd share the recipe in case anyone else has purchased a gigantic zucchini. I think she'll be able to make several batches of Zucchini Bread with this baby.

Since I figured Jenn might need more than one recipe for her zucchini, I pulled out another favorite cookbook, Apples for Jam. LOVE this cookbook and it’s very cute! I found a really interesting recipe for Zucchini Omelettes. I haven’t tried these but I sent the recipe to my sis. The lemon touch at the end sounds SO good. My sister really should start a blog.

What are some of your favorite go-to cookbooks?





Zucchini Bread from Art Smith
3 cups all purpose flour
2 teaspoons five spice powder, pumpkin pie spice, or ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon of salt
2 cups of sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1 cup chopped pecans (optional)

Preheat oven to 350. Butter and flour a 10 inch fluted Bundt pan and tap out excess flour. Whisk the flour, five spice powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Make a well in the center. In another bowl, whisk the sugar, oil, eggs, and vanilla and pour into the well. Mix well, and then stir in zucchini and pecans. Spread evenly in the pan. Bake until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. About 1 hour. Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto rack and cool completely.




Zucchini Omelette- Makes 4 omelettes

About 1.5 Tablespoons Olive Oil
1 Clove garlic, peeled and squashed a bit
1-2 Small green zucchini, finely sliced
Salt
3-4 Basil Leaves, torn
4 Eggs or egg whites
6 Tablespoons Grated Parmesan Cheese
A little lemon juice

Heat 2 teaspoons of oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add 1 egg, swirling the egg evenly around the pan. Scatter about a quarter of zucchini over the omelette and about 1.5 tablespoons of Parmesan. Cook until omelette is set and the underside is lightly golden. Slip out onto a warm plate while you make the other omletes. Serve with a few drops of lemon juice and grinding of pepper.

22 comments:

jlc said...

sounds yummmmmm!!!


and I LOVEEEEE those flowers in your kitchen! pretty touch!

Sydney Carver Snyder said...

those zuccini really are huge, wow! i don't have a go to cook book, but my go to baking book is the cake doctor, every recipe I've ever made out of the book, is fabulous!

ACH said...

I was just looking for some good zucchini recipes! I'll have to give them a try!

midnight macaroons said...

Sounds great! I will have to try out the new recipes. Thanks!!!

Sorry I couldn't meet you for lunch. Yesterday was crazy. We rolled into town on Friday night and left last night. Next time I'll let you know and we can plan in advance. Hope you had a super weekend!

Jill said...

I have heard several great things about Back to the Table, and I'm a sucker for a good cookbook. I recently bought "Great Recipes for Having People Over" and love it.

Anonymous said...

your puppy is adorable!!

In This Wonderful Life said...

that is a huge zucchini!! farmer's markets are great! thanks for the recipes :)

Danielle Moss // Graphic Design and Photography said...

I know you know I'm not really blogging but I will still be reading your blog since you're an irl friend ;)

So Kate just told me to check your blog. You won't believe this but I bought you that apples from jam book.

SOOOOO glad I didn't send it.

What are the chances? At least I know it's a good one since you ALREADY HAVE IT.

Talk soon.

Love,

D

LWLH said...

Goodness, that thing is huge! :)

Rachel H. said...

I would LOVE to try to zucchini bread! I'll have to give it a shot though I'm not really a good baker.

Sweet Simplicity said...

Those veggies look amazing! I need to start going to farmer's markets! I only use my cookbooks for one or two recipes each. I haven't found one that I am totally in love with yet.

Domestic Diva said...

Love the new blog..it looks fabulous! I was away for awhile. How is the new home. Hope you are loving it!!
I am addicted to cookbooks and too many and never have enough!!
Happy MOnday!! XXXXXX me

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Zucchini bread is one of my favorites, and I love the size comparison to Daisy... so cute!

Miss Sweet Tea said...

Wow! The dog looks so funny next to the veggies!

Abbi said...

yummmmmmmmmy!!! i LOVE zucchini!!! sounds sooo good!!!

John C said...

You're in San Antonio now... isn't is supposed to be Zucchini Gigantico?

Jennifer said...

I left you an award on my blog!

P*P*P said...

those are so ridiculous zucchinis!!! yum...an omelet sounds good right now!!

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Those sound delish!! :)

Anonymous said...

thanks so much for the comment :) I love love loveee zucchini bread! When I was little I never liked birthday cake and would ask my grandma to make me a zuchini loaf for my birthday haha. I'm going to have to use this recipe for sure :)

Lexilooo said...

I love the Apples to Jam cookbook! One of my favorites is the Tasha Tudor Cookbook. Along with great comfort-type recipes, she has the most lovely drawings, including many of my beloved corgis :)

Landlocked Mermaid said...

I love zucchini so much. When I was little my grandma used to make me scrambled eggs with potatoes,zucchini and onions yummy! xo