7.06.2009

July 4th Project

I thought I had a BBQ to attend on July 4th (not the BBQ at my parent's house). I double checked the date and the BBQ was on Sunday, July 5th. Oopps but it ended up working out perfect. I had so many small details to finish at the new home and my mom and I got to do a project. I love projects!

I wish my mom had a blog so she could write about all the projects my sister and I have asked her help us with. A few times (or more), she has actually done the majority of the project and we watched. When Jenn and I were in college, my mom made 26 throw pillows one summer. You must start the semester with a stylish apartment, right? One year for Christmas Jenn and I had an idea to make homemade food gifts for our friends. We (kind of) helped and mostly watched as my mom made homemade jelly and homemade salsa and canned it. Jenn made labels and we wrapped the lids in fabric and ribbon. My mom was a home economics major in college and she can do anything!

As my dad watched the fireworks from the front porch on July 4th, my mom and I covered an old Pottery Barn lamp shade. I thought about purchasing a new shade but the one I had fit the lamp base perfectly. Originally when I purchased the shade, it had crystal beads hanging from the bottom. They started falling off. WHAT???


Poor lamp shade~ the original




Supplies you'll need~ fabric, spray glue, paper for the pattern, hot glue gun, and scissors



Lay the lamp shade on your paper. Slowly turn the shade and trace a pattern.



After you trace the lamp shade, add a 1 inch border to fold into the shade at the end.



Pin the pattern to the fabric and cut.



Place one end of the fabric on your lamp shade. Spray small sections of the shade with the spray glue and carefully smooth the fabric around the shade section by section.



Once the fabric is attached to the outside of the shade, hot glue the 1 inch borders to the inside of the shade.



Ta-Dah~ This project was easy and we had extra fabric for pillows but not 26 pillows.



In my bedroom

21 comments:

Wearing Mascara said...

Ahhhh I love that shade! OMG so cute. Make another one and send it to me? K? thanks ;-)

xx

Danielle Moss said...

My mouth dropped open when I saw the finished shade. You know how I LOVE stuff like this. I so want to be able to do these things some day!

Sounds like a perfect 4th to me!

Hope you had fun at the BBQ yesterday!

Lis said...

How crafty are you!!?!? LOVE IT!!! You did an AMAZING job!!!! :)

I'm glad you had a good 4th..and 5th!! Lol! :)

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

I would like for you to come to my house and do this for me. Thanks. Also, you will need to bring a fabric store. Double thanks. :)

Daniella said...

so impressed! That lamp shade is gorgeous. I have the mini version from pottery barn with the beads - if they fall off, I'm trying this ;) I'm not good at craft tho so it would never look like yours. Way to go to your Mom - tell her to blog!!

Rachel H. said...

I love the shade!! You did a great job on it!! Can you come redo mine?

Lexilooo said...

super cute!

AmyT said...

What a GREAT idea...I love it - turned out beautiful!!!!!!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

So cute!!! Your mom is so crafty! This is a great tutorial. I always read about people recovering lampshades. I really need to try this!

Jennifer said...

That is so cute! I want one!

Anonymous said...

The lamp shade looks amazing!! I love it!

midnight macaroons said...

Wow, that looks fantastic. Your mom rocks!!! It sounds like y'all have a lot fun. Looking for another sister? LOL!!!

I'm attending a baby shower in San Antonio next weekend. Our best friends (couple) in Austin are having a baby. Her mom is throwing a big shower for her (she's orginally from S.A.)and her prego sis at her house. How long does it take for me to drive from H town to S.A.? I'm use to only making that drive from Austin.

Drew said...

I love the shade!!! I've been trying to figure out how to redo one myself! Awesome!

Kate said...

The lamp shade turned out so cute!

When are you in LA again, Jill??

That Pink Girl said...

So cute and so HGTV! Love it!

Abbi said...

ok....sooo cool!! what a great idea!! you and your mom are so crafty! i love it!

Jules said...

I love that damask pattern and it looks so nice and professional! I really need to work on becoming more crafty.

I hope you had a nice time at the BBQ!

Anonymous said...

How adorable is that? It looks like you bought it!

Jill said...

i puffy heart that lampshade!! i might have to attempt that project myself.

ps: love your blog. and your name (obvs). hope you don't mind another follower!

Jules said...

love it!

In This Wonderful Life said...

GREAT JOB!! Gosh, I'm behind...sorry girl! I love the background...Danielle is so talented!!