7.15.2009

Week Update

Today I worked in South Austin. On my way home, I made a couple of stops. First, I stopped at Spec’s , (a HOU company)to purchase a couple of bottles of wine. After checking out, the clerk handed me my receipt with an attached note. The note was priceless. It said, “Protect Your Wine!!. Texas heat is a KILLER! Leaving your wine in a hot car can cause it to spoil and/or burst!” Too bad I didn’t get this note last week!




Last week while working out of town, I picked up a few bottles of wine. I knew my sis was going to be in town for the weekend and we were planning a Girl’s Night at the town house. It was early in the week so I left the wine in my car trunk. Thursday afternoon I got in my car and noticed a strange smell; my car smelled like wine! I thought, “Oh no, did one of the bottles hit another and break?” I opened my trunk and 2 bottles had popped open. You know the thick foil that covers the cork? Well, the cork blew through the foil, popped open, and spilled all over the trunk. The cork was fat and swollen from the “Killer Texas Heat.” I had no idea this could happen! Remember, when I said I was born in the wrong state? I wasn't kidding!!!

Last Friday as I was driving back to San Antonio I thought, if a police officer pulls me over and gets a whiff of the nasty scent inside my car I’m going to be taking my first breath alyzer test. Luckily, I had an event free drive back to SA. Saturday morning I had my car washed and completely shampooed.

My second stop today was at the San Marcos Outlet Mall. If you’re ever in the area, the San Marcos Outlet Mall is worth the stop. It has been voted the 3rd best place to shop in the world by The View on ABC. I’m not your biggest outlet mall fan; sometimes I think it’s a scam but this one has some great shops. By the end of summer 2009, the San Marcos Outlet will have a Tory Burch store. I’m on the email list for grand opening and I’m looking forward to a retail victory! Anyway, I ran into the Williams Sonoma Outlet and picked up this cookbook for 50% off.


Beyond the Great Wall~ Recipes and Travels in the Other China


This cookbook is full of stories about the real China… the people, the culture, the food, and the history. The cookbook has great photography and authentic recipes. My friend, Mark C., just returned from Fiji for a Habitat for Humanity trip. When he returned Mark C. said to me, “You know how you say there’s real China and there’s Olympic China? Well, I went to real Fiji, not Honeymoon Fiji.” I forgot I had said that but it’s so true!

Pics from Mark C's Trip



There was a moment on my China ‘08 trip that I’ll never forget. It was Sunday morning; we piled into a van and headed to Beijing for church service. As we pulled into Beijing, all I could see were beautiful sky scrapers. Give me some big city any day and I’m happy! Although this time was different; my heart was heavy and my stomach was sick. An hour before arriving in Beijing we left rural China. Most of the people in rural China didn’t have indoor plumbing; they lived in homes with dirt floors, and they lived in extreme poverty. Just 24 hours before, I was at a Foster Home playing with orphans; children living in full time day care (and this is the good scenario). Can you imagine? As we approached Beijing everyone in the van was silent. The founder of the Foster Home was driving. After a long silence he said, “There is a rich China inside poor China.” I think about that statement almost everyday. Outside of “Olympic China” is another China. I appreciate this book.

18 comments:

Casey (@ Chaos and Cardboard) said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the San Marcos outlet mall. The J Crew outlet, White house Black Market, Gap, Coach.... I didn't get to go there this year. I'll be honest it's one of my main reasons for moving to the hill country :)

Rachel H. said...

I can't believe that the wine bottles burst! That's the craziest thing I've ever heard. I didn't know that could happen either. And your comments on China are very touching. Really makes you think...

jlc said...

Those pics are FANTASTIC!! and note to self: dont leave wine in the car.... man, i have no idea how ive been running in this weather but it needs to stop! have a fabulous weekend hun!

sparrowsandsparkles said...

what an interesting week. I love your insights on China... would love to go to that outlet... and good to know on the wine/Texas heat!!

AmyT said...

Oh my gosh..I can't believe they burst!!! That is SO my luck LOL!!! Glad you didn't get stopped. I think what you do is so awesome going on the mission trips - that sort of thing just breaks my heart - I would be one of those people that just want to help them all or take them all home with me!

Kassie said...

I just found your blog, and I'm so glad I did! I love what you said about China. I did some service work in a rural village in the far north of China once (near Mongolia). It was incredible to see how they had no money, cooked rice over a campfire, used the stove for heat, etc. We stayed with a peasant family in the middle of winter, and slept on their dirt floors. Definitely a humbling experience, as I'm sure you can relate from your trips.

Abbi said...

that's funny about the sign but not so funny about your trunk!..lol!! the texas heat must be like the florida and georgia heat!!!
i would LOVE to visit the outlet mall there!!! i LOVE the word mall!!!!

TanyaLea said...

Wow...who knew about the wine!...guess you learn something new everyday ~ just sorry you had to learn it the hard way!! (But it was a little funny to read about...especially when you said if you got pulled over you'd probably be taking your first breathalizer test...LOL!!...good thing that didn't happen!)

And about your China post: I know we will probably be experiencing that reality when we go to bring our daughter home. I've heard much about the 'westernized rich China' within the poor China...so it was very interesting to hear it said that way. I can only imagine the silence and thoughts that were flying around inside that van. Almost eery just reading about it!

And you'll have to let me know how you like that cookbook. That's something I would really like to purchase, as I would like to know how to prepare some authentic chinese cousine from our daughter's homeland...before she is home, so that I can perfect it...hopefully anyway!! :)

Great post!! Have a blessed day!
~Tanya

Jennifer said...

I didn't know that wine would do that!

That book looks really neat. I LOVE the outlets in San Marcos. I always find something I can't live without! Haha

Sweet Simplicity said...

I love the San Marcos outlets!! I have a friend that experienced the mix of the killer OK heat and wine left in the car. I love that they are handing out notes with the wine. Very thoughtful!

That Pink Girl said...

San Marcos outlets ARE the best!
Crazy story about your wine. I hope it didn't stain your trunk carpet - you know how that KILLER HEAT is!

all i need is love... said...

Yes, wine bottles do pop! It's that hot here too! Fortunately, I haven't had one pop in my car, but that wouldn't be good!

And I agree with you about China. It definitely makes us more aware of our own life and how we can help others.

Global Girl said...

On the China stuff: I hear ya!

Woman Interrupted said...

What a great post! I love hearing stories about your experiences in China.

Yes, we've had to learn our lesson the hard way about wine and heat...

Jill said...

now on tomorrow's agenda...san marcos outlet mall.

i went to china a few years ago when my dad was living there and i completely agree. he showed us around his flat and neighborhood in tsim sha tsui...then took us to the mainland the next day. complete eye opener.

In This Wonderful Life said...

I wish I could go to the San Marcos outlet malls more! Love the pics :)

Kate said...

I never knew wine bottles could explode like that!

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

I'm with you...I typically despise outlet malls, but San Marcos works for me! I stock up on white Restoration Hardware towels when we go.

You HAVE to update & let us know when Tory opens!!!