9.14.2008

Hurricane Ike

On my way home the morning after Ike. Picture taken coming from Rice Military to Montrose. Allen Parkway under water.


This has been quite a week! I started the week in ABQ (Albuquerque), drove 4 hours to El Paso, and ended up back in HOU just in time for Hurricane Ike. Thursday afternoon Houstonians were already starting to evacuate. As my plane landed everyone had their noses smashed to the window assessing the traffic. I was lucky; a friend emailed me directions to my house taking the back roads. I got home in 45 minutes, which is great! When Houston is in evacuation mode, a 30 minute drive could take you 3-5 hours. Once I got to my neighborhood I went to Kroger. The shelves were empty; they were out of bread, fruit, and most importantly diet coke. On the way home another car rear-ended me. I’m a very nice person to hit; I don’t get upset or mad.

I decided to stay at a friend’s house the night Ike hit. I live in an old part of town; my house was built in the 1930’s. Personally, I love it… lots of charm and character but it’s not good for hurricanes. Ike hit Houston around 2:00 AM. I was up through most of the night.

You have to make hurricanes during a hurricane. This is rare~I posted a picture of myself in workout clothes, pigtails, and no make-up.



The next morning the mayor requested that everyone stay home and not drive around to see the damage. I couldn’t just sit there; I wanted to see if my house was still standing or if I still had a roof. I was lucky, I had just a little water come in through the roof. A bunch of trees and power lines are down in my yard and around my house. We are being told it could be 1 day-3 weeks before everyone has their power is restored. The worst part is we have no water. I could live without power for a week or so but water! Lindsay and John live in a suburb west of town; they have power and water. I’m staying with them for a couple of days. After that I’m not sure??? I’m thinking I’ll go home and clean out the refrigerator and pack some clothes and go to San Antonio to stay with my parents. Wow~ being homeless is not fun. I’m so homeless Joe! (D~ that was for you) Thanks for all your prayers and well wishes.


My building~ what a mess!

My front yard





14 comments:

Kate said...

So glad you are ok!

Janet said...

The important thing is that you are okay. The next important thing is that your apartment is okay. We are very blessed in both respects. Surely power and water won't be too far off.
Love, Mom

Danielle Moss said...

I am SO glad you're ok. I was so happy to see an email from you this morning. I was starting to worry.

You, my friend, could NEVER be homeless Joe. ;) Even if you didn't have a home, there are WAY too many people that would want to live with you. You'd be such a fun roommate!

If you want to get away, you can always come to LA.

Definitely call me when you can to give me an update.

I hope you find some diet coke asap.

Love,

D

Danielle Moss said...

One more thing -- I really like that kitchen. It's definitely not me (since I don't do the whole modern thing) but it's really nice.

Karen said...

So glad to hear you're okay. Praying for all those affected by Hurricane Ike.

Karen

Anonymous said...

I don't know about you, but the thing I'm most looking forward to is a nice SHOWER and then sleeping in my AIR CONDITIONED bedroom! Hurricanes stink, but since one was going to hit us sooner or later I guess we came out pretty fortunate.

I'm glad you're okay! I was concerned about how your building would fare. Hug Lindsay, John, and little Caroline for me. Call when you can! My phone finally seems to be working. For now anyway.

Amy Maze said...

Good to hear from you, Jill. Good luck in the interim period!

Amy said...

Glad to hear that your OK!

Jules said...

Hi Jill,

You look amazing without make up! : )

I am glad you are okay.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Wow, that's so scary =( Glad you're OK.

Sharon said...

Wow! I am so glad you are okay. Love the pic of you, you are so PRETTY!!!! Send one of those drinks in the mail! and that looks like a cross in that shot (telephone pole)

Wearing Mascara said...

OMG! I am so so so SO happy you are okay! Thank you for posting the pics and coming by and seeing my blog. I love your blog and will add it to my blog roll. Keep us all updated! Good luck to you and hang in there!

Lori said...

Jill, thanks for sharing some pictures, I was wondering how it's all looking. I'm glad you are ok!
If you go stay with your parents, give your Mom a hug for me. :)

Jill said...

glad you are okay....you still look gorgeous by the way!!