12.06.2008

Snow Cottage Directions


A couple of people ask me how to make the snow cottages from this post. I can’t take credit for this great idea. I saw the snow cottages last year on Mrs. Lori’s blog~ I loved them. I emailed Lori and she shared how she made them with me. I’ve ask her if I could pass along the directions on my blog. It’s been about 11 months since Lori sent me the directions. I’m writing this from memory so my direcs may not be exactly like Lori’s. Enjoy~

Supplies:

Paper Mache Houses~ I got mine at H*bby Lobby. They're very cheap. I think the largest house was $4.49. The Paper Mache happened to be 50% off the day I was there.
Paint~ I used craft paint. The paint is also really cheap… about .50-$1.49 per bottle. I loved Lori’s cream colored houses. As I recall, she used left over home décor paint. Anything will work.

Brushes
Quilt Batting
Spray Adhesive
Glitter

Paint your houses and let dry. If you’re planning on adding the quilt batting to the roof, there’s no need to paint the roof. Lori warned me the hardest part was keeping the paint from dripping. That was definitely true!

Next cut your quilt batting to completely cover the roof. I think mine is a little too short. Maybe because I don’t see many snow covered roofs in Houston. :)

Spray the roof with the adhesive and added the quilt batting.

Spray the quilt batting with the adhesive and sprinkled glitter on top. You could also add glitter to the house.

I added a wreath and little Christmas trees with hot glue. I got them from H*bby Lobby in the doll house section.

10 comments:

3 Peanuts said...

Thank you so much Jill! I will be heading to Hobby Lobby this week! I think that just maybe this is one I could do with the kids? I will give it a try anyway.

Yours look fantastic!!!

Kim

Danielle Moss said...

Those turned out SO cute! Love them. I wish we had Hobby Lobby here. I know you can order them online, and the price is somewhat comparable.

The wreath and trees made such a cute finishing touch. Great job my friend :)

AndreaLeigh said...

I'm in love with these but we don't have a Hobby Lobby here. I'll have to see if my Michaels or AC Moores carries them. Love the pink... this is adorable!

Global Girl said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog. I went to China (Guangdong) this summer to do something similar. The trip had been in my heart for a loooong time. I give thanks each and every day for the precious memories!

-Kate

bufwilcord@aol.com

Rachel H. said...

Very cute!!

Beth said...

Hi Jill! Thank you so much for my Swap goodies! It was nice to have something to look forward to after our long drive last night. I posted a shout-out to you on my blog.

Merry Christmas!
Beth

said...

Just stumbled across your blog. Oh my gosh. Those cottages are toooo cute!!

Sharon said...

That is beautiful!! Wish I was crafty, looks overwhelming to me, but I love looking at it here!

I am still keeping you in my prayers about Mr right! John and i met while in japan (21 yrs ago) right out of school...did i already tell you this?? So I kept hoping China might be it. Well, God has it planned for the perfect time, I'm sure.

Football and Fried Rice said...

I see this as a project next year for me & my then-to-be-almost-four-year-old daughter!!!!

Adorable!

Janet said...

Those houses turned out so beautiful (just like Lori's). It makes me want to impulsively start another project - but I dare not.
Love, Mom