2.19.2009

Handwritten Letters and Cards

I love receiving handwritten letters and cards in the mail. Who doesn’t? As I sort through the junk mail and bills, it’s so exciting to find a letter addressed to me, in real handwriting. It’s always the first thing I open. Why don’t we send more handwritten letters, notes, or cards? These days it’s much easier to send a quick email or a text message.


About 5 years ago, I made a New Year’s Resolution to write one card a week to a friend or family member just saying, “Hi and I’ve been thinking about you.” One card a week, not hard. I stuck to the resolution for about 2.5 months!

I was recently reminded of how much I like receiving cards in the mail. My friend, Paula F., from church sent me the sweetest card.


Paula wrote...

Dear Jill,

I wanted to write you and tell you that I really enjoy reading your blog. I love being able to see into your life, your cute apartment, the fun you have with your friends, and your passion for Chinese babies. You live in the moment and enjoy your life and you will not regret that when you look back on your life later on. Thanks for sharing. Let’s get that drink one of these days.

Love,
Paula

Isn’t that sweet? Thank you, Paula! Your letter completely made my day.


A few weeks ago my neighbor, Mary, left a card on my door. The card was so funny. I must tell you a little history before I tell you what she wrote. Ever since Hurricane Ike, I’ve had this terrible smell in my kitchen. It comes and goes. I’ve called maintenance and they can’t figure out where it’s coming from. I have an idea of what it could be but I will spare y’all the possible details. It’s not a pretty picture. Mary and I share the kitchen wall so I asked her if she had noticed it. At the time, she told me “No.” Great… was it just in my apartment?


Mary wrote…

Hey Jill,

Kitty photo cards aren’t exactly my taste but once people learn you have a more than one cat, they assume you want “cat stuff!”

Anyway, I believe I have smelled the “kitchen stench.” It arrived about six this evening and although it is somewhat diminished, it is still around… and yes it is horrid! I think it is coming from under the sink. I’ve put baking soda into the disposal, but the smell continues. Is it worse when the weather is warm and humid?

Just want you to know I’ve smelled it too.

Mary

My mom sent me this card in 2007. It was really sweet and encouraging. I keep it in my day planner and it goes everywhere I go. I have had bad days at work and I take it out and read it.



Mom wrote...

Dear Jill,

I am so proud of you and thankful for God’s spirit that lives in you. I see the radiance of Him in your more and more. I love you and miss you. I’m excited to see the blessings that God is yet to send. May God richly bless your day!

Love from your cheerleader,
Mom

The card has this Bible verse on the inside...

“…My people will receive a double portion… and everlasting joy will be theirs.” Isaiah 61:7


I've never done this on my blog... I'm challenging myself and everyone else to send someone a card and tell them you're thinking about them. You never know, it might just be the one thing they needed to get through the day.

23 comments:

Dawn said...

Oh Jill...I too love handwritten notes and cards. I am trying to get better at sending them myself because I love getting them so much. Frame those babies...they are so special!

*One Step at a Time* said...

Those are so sweet! I don't tell you enough how much I love your blog! I feel like we have a lot in common :)

Kate said...

I try to send handwritten notes too. Definitely makes someone's day :)

That Pink Girl said...

What a wonderful resolution! You are right, a handwritten note or card is much more special than an e-mail. It really shows that you took time out of your day to stop and THINK about that person. You've inspired me. I'm sending onen tomorrow!

katie lake said...

I have two GREAT places to buy cards. Target and Michaels. I went to target today and they have large selection of cards in the dollar spot. Also, michaels has a bunch of dollar bins with super cute cards as well. I totally bought a bunch of blue and white polka dot ones!

AndreaLeigh said...

great challenge! i'm definately going to participate.

those are such sweet cards. you are so right... a handwritten card just perks up your day.

i don't even have people who text me, haha. how sad is that?

Tippa Glover said...

Hey Jill! I found your blog from Danielle and have been reading often! I love this post and share you love of handwritten notes. There is nothing that could replace something as thoughtful as something handwritten. Just wanted to drop by and say hi!

theluckiestmrs said...

I just found your blog, and I definitely agree with you! I try to write often, but school sometimes gets in the way! I'm following your advice today, and I'm going to drop a card in the mail for my dad!

Oh, and I love Tuesday Morning for great deals on stationery!

jennykate77 said...

I LOVE handwritten cards and notes too!!! I try to send them as often as possible. When I get one in the mail it makes my whole day...or sometimes my whole week! Great challenge!

Hope you have a great Friday!

Lulu said...

I never receive them, but I LOVE handwritten cards!!

Sweet Simplicity said...

I should start mailing out cards to friends. I love getting mail so I'm sure they would too. This is a great post!

Amy Maze said...

i love cards and letters too! hope you are doing ok in the rental! have a great weekend!

LovesPINKandPEARLS said...

i love notes too, getting mail makes my day!!!

Treasure Ann said...

Thanks for reminding me to get back into writing cards and encouraging someone in neeed.
God bless you. Oh, and I'm glad your doing o.k. after the accident. Thank God you were safe.

kara battel said...

i love to write notes! and i know that receives them appreciates it more than we know! it's so nice of you to remind us to take a minute to think of others!


ps- what did you think of the nyc housewives???? i love kelly the new one!

Jules said...

I agree, handwritten cards are so special to send and receive. Thank you for sharing some of the sweet notes that you got from family and friends.
It's so easy to send an email or shoot a text. Sending a note means so much more and shows that you really care.

Whitney said...

That is so great! I love cards! Have I told you I want to adobt a Chinese baby when I've popped out my own? They are so beautiful! It's so wonderful what you are doing.

Daniella said...

Not sure why but your blog hasn't been bold in my bloglines but anyway, catching up - sorry about your accident. I love, love handwritten notes, letters, etc. I recently found some great finds at TJ*Max of beautiful black and white notecards with a big red K on them - love them and I try to write handwritten notes often - just today I wrote a note to our petsitter with her pay in the note. She is 16 and she called to say how much she loved the card :) Maybe I inspired her to write instead of text :)

zuveena said...

great blog great page simply amazing

Abbi said...

i love to get cards too! i'm like you, i check the mail and go for the hand written letters first!! it makes me feel important!!!
that was an awesome new year's resolution! great idea!!

melissa said...

Such beautiful letters. I have quite a few books on the hand written letter and related topics. I always write hand written thank you notes and have raised my boys to do so also (of course, I have to tell them about a hundred times!)

melissa

clsoetofsara said...

I love cards, too. I wish we weren't so wrapped up in technology and could write more often.

Danielle Moss said...

Love those notes. So sweet :) I need to work on sending more letters. I have so many cards ready to go, but have been so wrapped up in work, the gym, and have let these little things (things I find important) go. Thanks for the reminder.