7.29.2008

Earthquake In CA

Most of you have heard about the 5.7 earthquake that hit California late this morning. Yes, I’m still here!!! It was my first earthquake and I was completely terrified. I was upgrading software on one of our kiosk at a grocery store. I felt the ground shake a little and I thought, “I wonder if that’s an earthquake.” Well, about 1 minute later the entire store started shaking. I RAN to a girl working in the photo department and hung onto her. I was whining, shaking, and about to cry. Dramatic, I know but I had no idea what to expect. I really thought the store ceiling was going to collapse. I was watching the walls move from left to right and the floor was rippling under my feet. The store employees told me you’re not supposed to move when an earthquake strikes (unless it’s super bad and then you run outside). Oh… so that’s why everyone in the store stood still and I RAN. Only a Texas girl would do that! Even though, I thought I might die for about 20 seconds today, I’m fine. I was shaken up for about 30 minutes after the quake. My knees were shaking and I felt dizzy.

I have bad luck with natural disasters. I was in the First Colony Mall in Sugar Land, TX in 1997 when a tornado ripped through the mall. The news crews interviewed me and ask what I thought was happening and what I saw. I was so upset… I told them I saw “brown wind” and I thought it was an earthquake. Yes, they aired my embarrassing interview on 4 Houston news stations. Lovely! Also, I was in New Orleans the day before hurricane Katrina hit. We had to evacuate, which is never fun. One month later, I had to evacuate Houston for hurricane Rita. It took me 5 hours to drive 55 miles. I just really hope I’m in California when the big one hits. :)

Check back soon for Disney, Hollywood, and Santa Barbara updates.

Check at these California Earthquake Potato Chip. I might try to buy some before I leave :)

10 comments:

Kate said...

I'm glad you are ok! They can be so scary. We have so many earthquake drills in school when we are little so most native Californians know to drop under a desk/table or stand under the doorway. You can teach everyone in Texas what you learned :)

Deb said...

Jill....you stopped by Sophie's blog months ago and I apologize that it has taken me so long to stop by and say hi too! I completely understand your earthquake fear....we used to live in Southern CA and were there for the 1994 earthquake in Northridge. I remember all too well how scarey they are and I do not miss them one bit! Hang in there....hopefully you get to go home soon!

Amanda said...

I'm glad the roof didn't collapse. This was my 2nd small earthquake. I think last time I lived here was the biggest recent one (2004). Maybe it's me?! There wasn't a lot of movement at my apartment today - just a little bit of shaking.

Just think of all the life experiences and stories to tell that you're getting from your disaster experiences! :)

Unknown said...

Yikes! I'm glad you decided not to loot the joint Jill. Glad you're okay!

Danielle Moss said...

I told you my horrible Northridge earthquake story. I was definitely scarred for life.

I was more worried about you and my cats than anything. I figured they were scared, and I was torn between my kitties at home and checking on Kitty.

Hopefully I'll see you tomorrow? We'll figure something out!

What can I say? Welcome to la la land...

Maria said...

You are just getting to experience ALL of California! The good AND the bad! How long did the earthquake last? I'm glad you were safe! I can't even imagine experiencing one. It's good to know to sit still if you do experience one. Thanks for the tip! Just glad you weren't at Disney Land that day. I can't wait to see the Disney Land pics!! Come back home safe and sound! Miss you!

Don and Lisa Osborn said...

Jill,

Wow! What an exciting day. I am thankful God kept you safe and that you lived to tell about it...:o)

It sounds like you are having a lot of fun in LA. Be careful and enjoy each moment--even the crazy ones...

All the best,
Lisa

Janet said...

I would be pretty shook up (pardon that use of words.) I think those funny potato chips are worth a try.
Love, Mom

Amy C said...

I love your mom's pun :-) I am glad you are okay....I can't even imagine what it's like to see the walls and floor move...it's WILD!!! Were there any aftershocks? Well...I hope you have a blast the rest of the trip. Call me so we can chat about things :-)

Jill said...

Amy,

Yes there were about 30-39 aftershocks. I've heard different reports from different news stations. Luckily, I didn't feel any of the aftershocks. :)