5.26.2009

False Alarm



Last night while I was sound asleep in my hotel room the hotel fire alarm went off. I’ve had co-workers tell me stories about this happening but it’s never happened to me until last night. It all happened at 5:00 AM. For some people 5:00 AM is early morning; for me it’s the middle of the night. Have I mentioned I’m not a morning person?

As soon as I heard the alarm, I jumped out of the bed. I was completely disoriented. At first, I thought about going back to bed. Like I said, I was disoriented. I paced the room a few times thinking about what I should do... run, take my pajamas off and put on something appropriate, or grab a few personal items. I finally came to my senses and realized if there actually was a fire in the hotel, I needed to get out fast. I grabbed my purse and thought for a minute, “What else should I take?” I went for my medicated chapstick. Forget my laptop, GPS, or blackberry; I went for the chapstick.

I, along with the business men, evacuated the building. I’m not joking I was the only girl standing outside on the sidewalk. The worst (or best) part is I was still in my pajamas. The business men had put on jeans and a shirt. These days I’ve been sleeping in mismatched items. Last night, I was wearing a short cotton, pink and navy striped night gown. I was also wearing orange and yellow floral PJ pants from Walgreens. That’s right, Walgreens. I bought them in an emergency for $4.99 and thought I’d wear them and get rid of them. I ended up loving the Walgreens PJ bottoms. They’re really soft and I like the way they feel on my legs. :) I stood on the curb in downtown Dallas with a bunch of business men and the fire department wearing that mess. It was not one of my finer moments!

It ended up being a false alarm.

23 comments:

Miss Sweet Tea said...

Oh I hate that! I'm the same way with mornings as well - I can't get up for the life of me, even for a fire alarm!! Ha! Well I hope you were able to get some sleep :) xoxo

Jules said...

I am not a morning person either and would have been totally confused and out of it. I think I might have grabbed my chap stick before my blackberry too.

That is so funny that you ran out in your PJ's. I'm sure the businessmen loved that!

TanyaLea said...

I hear yuh!...5 am is like the middle of night for me, too!! ;)

But cute story...too funny about the pj's and being the ONLY girl...I'm sure you were a doll in any case!! :)

midnight macaroons said...

Hey, that happened to me at a hotel around 5am too! And it was in DALLAS! I was staying at the Hilton. Were you at the Hilton? I remember screaming at my sister, "turn off the alarm" (also not a morning person). She yelled back, "It's a fire." We raced down 8 flights of stairs to find out it was a false alarm. Then when we got back to our room the phone rang; it was our wake-up call, LOL!

I'm sure you looked adorable in your pj's.

Natalie said...

Forgive me .... I'm laughing over here. I am just picturing you standing there in your jammies!!

Glad it was a false alarm though ~ I would have been all out of sorts too!

Domestic Diva said...

WIshing you a great night sleeps tonight & sweet dreams!!
xxxxx me

That Pink Girl said...

What a way to wake up!

Petunia said...

Oh, that is too funny!

jlc said...

Oh no!!! Haha... that does make me smile though... sorry!!

Kari said...

Oh my word! That is awful! Funny, but awful!!!

Woman Interrupted said...

So the Chapstick and your purse?...that's about what I would have grabbed while running out the door!

Angie said...

Jill, I am glad it was a false alarm!! How embarrasing having to go outside in your pj's, I bet everyone else felt the same way that you did!

Danielle Moss said...

Oh. My. Gosh. That is horrible. You know I'm right there with you on 5am being in the middle of the night. It's 12:20 and I just finished working! :)

At least you had clothes on, right?

Did you at least go back to bed?

s. pearce feldman said...

you poor thing! at least it makes for a good story...! (i'm jealous of your walgreens pjs! i've been on the hunt for super-yummy pjs lately, & have been striking out... who knew walgreens filled that need, too??)

Sweet Simplicity said...

This is hilarious! I'm sorry you got woken up at that awful hour, but it did make for a good blog post! :)

Mel said...

Too funny! This happened to me as well on business in Calgary, AB during the dead of winter! :) I actually called the front desk and asked if there was really a fire...I was instructed to get out of my room! LOL!

Jules said...

That's a great story. Very adorable. I sleep in mismatched items too these days and soft PJ pants are a gem so I get it. :)

SweetTeaOnTheRiver said...

Happened to me in Dallas, one of the few times that it had snowed there! Of course, I had only brought boxers (although they were cute) and was completely unprepared... and ran down from the twenty something floor. Very nice. Learned to take pj's!

Anonymous said...

Oh well, makes for a good story once you get past the embarrassment. It's probably for the best that all the guys pulled on some clothes, lol.

Abbi said...

oh dang!! i probably would have paniced!!! then i wouldn't have been able to fall asleep!!!
hope you have a great week!

Polka Dots & Protein Bars said...

Hahaha that sucks! I'm sure you looked adorable in your jumbled PJs, though!

melissa said...

OMG, Jill ... the same thing just happened to me at the Fairmont in Boston. The alarm went off at 5:15am and I was the only person down in the lobby with my pj's on (no shoes or did I even think to grab my purse). I could not get over all the people finally making it down (a good 10-15 minutes after me) completely dressed! I swear, I think some of the women even put on makeup!

AmyT said...

You poor thing!!! It's cute though!