5.07.2009

Travel Etiquette~ The Moving Walkway

I travel for work. For the most part, I love it. I love being in airports and rushing through crowds; it’s invigorating! Sure, there are times I don’t love it. There are times when traveling is a far cry from being glamorous but it’s a huge part of my job and it’s what I know to be normal.

Since I’ve been touring America for the last 10.5 years, I’ve learned a lot about travel etiquette. It shocks me that people (not all people), don’t have common sense and basic manners when traveling. I often dream about writing a travel etiquette book. Evidently, the general population needs some help. I’m fully aware that the people that need to read a travel etiquette book would never think they have problem or care to read my book. So, I’ve decided to occasionally write about travel etiquette on my blog. I know most of my fabulous readers don’t need advice on basic travel manners but I thought my blog would be a nice outlet. Feel free to leave comments on your own personal beliefs and frustrations or questions on various travel topics.

I’m going to start my Travel Etiquette posts with the Moving Walkway. Moving Walkways are located in most airports. I’ve always thought moving walkways were designed for people in a hurry… people trying to get to their gate without missing their flights. Have you ever had to spend a Friday night in the airport? Have you ever had an airline give you a complimentary hotel room/roach motel? SCARY! Nobody wants to miss their flight so, PLEASE help us out on the moving walkway.



I looked up the definition of “moving walkway” on Wikipedia. Wikipedia defines a moving walkway as “a slow conveyor belt that transports people horizontally or on an incline in a similar manner to an escalator. In both cases, passengers can walk or stand. The walkways are often installed in pairs, one for each direction.”

Really, you’re allowed to STAND? Unfortunately, I didn’t make the rules. Unless you’re disabled, a senior citizen, or a small child, standing on the moving walkway is pure laziness! Sorry, I’m just being honest. Since Wikipedia says you’re allowed to stand (and be lazy), PLEASE don’t stand in the middle of the moving walkway. Please allow others who are in a hurry and/or about to miss a connecting flight to walk by you. If the moving walkway is narrow, position yourself sideways to let others by. If you decide to stroll on the moving walkway, please stroll on the “standing” side and let the fast walkers by. If you’re traveling with a friend, spouse, or significant other please stand single file. If you’re traveling with a child, have the child stand in front of you. For the record, nobody thinks it’s cute or funny that your child thinks the moving walkway is a toy or amusement park ride.

Thankyouverymuch,

Every Business Traveler in The United States of America

32 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I don't travel as much as you do, but I agree with you about the moving walkway!!

Tami said...

So true!!!

I think I meet those same people on the sidewalk..walking side by side, and somehow they seem to be either oblivious, or even sadder, maybe just don't care...that instead of changing to a single file as you meet, they feel it's OK to keep their formation and make you pass on the curb or with your shoulder rubbing against a building.....OK...I feel better now;-). LOL

Katie said...

I don't really ever have to travel for work so I can't exactly relate to your plight BUT I agree with you. I would think its common courtesy to walk on moving sidewalks. Or at least stand to the right ... not in the very middle!

Unknown said...

Can I just say ditto for escalators?!

sparrowsandsparkles said...

so true!!

Treasure Ann said...

Very good tips for traveling. People need to pay attention more to being considerate about there behavior as they travel. It makes everyone travel experience more tolerable and pleasent. I'm rootin' for you if you write a book-what a great idea. You be surprised by how much people will probably read it. Maybe the airport will by a lot and pass it out to their passengers-wouldn't that send an etiquite needful message? :) Have a great day.

Heather @ Simple Wives said...

Haha, that is funny!

Woman Interrupted said...

Right on! Move over, I'm in a hurry...you'd think that would be common courtesy.

AmyT said...

I'm with you on this..!! They have these at Universal - I usually skip them because people clog them up - I walk/walk fast when I'm on them - and people just clutter around - and I get flustered!!!

midnight macaroons said...

Amen, Sista! Jill, you should write the etiquette book. And then sale them at the airport, LOL. Don't forget the chapter where the kid behind you is kicking your seat. That's always pleasant.

In With the Light said...

totally agree! i was just in cabo and had no issues until we were coming home. we were in the ticket line at the airport and had a few people in front of us. they had split our line into two and there were two people processing luggage and tickets. this, we assumed meant that if you were in the right line, you went to the right person and if on the left, to the left. well the TSA people were not doing a very good job ensuring that happened and a woman from the left lane crossed over to the right side person. the TSA people tried to get her to go back in line and she threw a fit, claiming the person they were trying to move ahead of her was actually behind her the whole time. it was obnoxious and the woman they moved ahead of her was apologizing to her. she was so rude and just made the line we had already been standing in for an hour even longer. uh!

Melissa Good Taste said...

I was running through the Houston Airport... trying to catch a flight that had started boarding 15 minutes prior... got to a Moving Walkway.... people were standing side by side... I jumped through them, parting the waters... hitting one with my shoulder bag... screamed out sorry, while still running... they cussed me... but..... I made my flight! YES!

GingerSnap said...

I don't travel that often, but I know what you mean about those walkways...I swear people take naps while they're just standing there...move!

Sassy Engineer said...

I don't travel much, but I agree! I think there is just general sense of selfishness in our society these days. If people would stop and think about how their actions affect others and try to be more considerate, I do believe a lot issues (especially frivolous lawsuits) would go away. I see a lof of this idea of "the world revolves around me" in my job, and it is frustrating!

In This Wonderful Life said...

hahah love this!! I agree!!

John C. said...

Jill, your book desprately needs wide dissemination. May I suggest for your next installment, "Standing in the Doorway."

Abbi said...

your probably goin to die when you read this but i've never flown before!!...lol!! or really traveled a whole lot! i have been on one of those walkways before though!!!

penny lane said...

i love the idea of a travel etiquette book! i would totally buy it.

thanks so much for all the birthday love! it was a great time! i hope all is well with you!!

the record player is a crosley. they make tons! even one that has a tweed case (so cute!). and obviously they make ones with usb ports - which is totally brilliant.

Danielle Moss said...

Haha. Love it. You should absolutely write a travel etiquette book! :)

KAC said...

HAHA I completely agree!! I fly a couple times year to come home from school and things like this drive me CRAZY! Oh and I have missed my flight before and had to spend the night in the Detroit airpot...def a very scary experience!!! Love the idea of travel etiquette posts!!

Miss Sweet Tea said...

Ooh this is one of my biggest irks! And when people don't stand to one side of the escalator is sooo annoying too!

all i need is love... said...

I completely agree! I get uber annoyed!

Kari said...

How True that is!!
YOu should watch this video by Brian Regan...he touches on that exact same thing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G9em-ZCddWk

Domestic Diva said...

Amen..I am always like MOVE it or loss it.

TanyaLea said...

Ahhhh!...the infamous "people movers"!! :) UGH!...I feel your pain, and I don't even travel all that often. But I'm all for that book you want to write. I think I could co-author it with you! SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!...what has happened to basic, good ol'fashioned manners and etiquette. The general public has completely lost comprehension of simple coothfulness(sp??)!

And I'm feeling what Tami said about the bike and walking trails...same scenerio!

Okay, I feel better now, too!
I think this may turn out to be some good therapy for us like-minded, well-mannered, thoughtful folks! :) LOL!!!

Happy Weekend!!!

texaslauren77 said...

AMEN! People need to get the heck out of the way. And for the record, I also agree with you that just standing there is lazy unless you're disabled or elderly or travelling with children. Stand if you must, but get to one side!!

Shoshanah said...

I don't know if you've ever been to London, but when you're on escalators there (and I'm assuming moving walkways) there is always one side meant for standing and one for walking. And people are very unhappy when you stand on the wrong side.

AndreaLeigh said...

preach it, girl! it's like when you are trying to get down an aisle at the store and someone blocks you and won't move. maddening!

Jules said...

Jill, I love this post and it is absolutely true. People are clueless sometimes when it comes to traveling and a book is a great idea. The moving walkway is up there on my list of pet peeves. The walkways usually say, “stand right, walk left”. I see people just standing on them, not a care in the world and I think it is pure laziness.

The other thing that gets me is waiting in line for security and people that don't put things through x-ray right and hold up the line. My rule of thumb is when in doubt, get a tray and put it in there!

s. pearce feldman said...

SO spot on! it's just like the metro escalators here in DC - or on the Tube in London: Stand to the right, walk to the left. Simple words to live by everywhere there might be a people-mover-contraption.

Kate said...

I was going to write exactly what Stacilyn wrote-walk left, stand right!

Anonymous said...

Nice post and this mail helped me alot in my college assignement. Gratefulness you as your information.