5.17.2009

Weekend Update


Friday night I tried a new restaurant with my friend Dr. Mark. It was amazing~ possibly the fanciest meal I’ve ever had. The restaurant is called Textile and it’s located in an old Textile Mill. The Textile Mill is Houston’s 9th oldest building... very cool. On Friday and Saturday evenings they only offer a 5 or 7 course chef’s “tasting menu.” We had the 7 course menu and I didn’t leave stuffed, which is good, who wants to be sick? The portions were small and amazing, think Top Chef. We had things like scallops (the best I’ve ever had), rabbit pate, and something in bacon reduction. We also had the wine accompaniments with each course. It was really fun! If you live in Houston and you’d like to try Textile, keep in mind you have to have reservations. Also, you might want to email me to find out the price range. (I'm not joking)

I finally saw Slumdog Millionaire this weekend. It’s one of the best movies I’ve ever seen. I loved every minute of the movie. I’m so fascinated with how people live in other countries. The extreme poverty in India is heartbreaking.



This evening on Dateline NBC, they did a segment on two of the child stars in Slumdog. The kids that played Salim and Latika were actually from the real slums of India. Since the movie and the Oscars, they’re back in the slums living with their families. The child that played Salim just had his home bulldozed by the government. He was crying as he watched. It was hard to watch Dateline tonight knowing that is his real life; he's not acting. Can you believe that? It's devastating that any child should have to live that way. Think about how child stars are treated in America...

14 comments:

Angie said...

I have heard Slumdog is a great movie, I haven't seen it yet but I can't wait to watch it. The kids are adorable, it's so sad how they have to live :(

Petunia said...

That is so sad about the children. I haven't seen the movie yet because it sounded depressing.

jlc said...

Slumdog was an amazingggg film but yes, had me desperate for days afterwards.


Glad you had fun trying new restaurants!! That is a fabulous weekend!!

Kristen said...

I LOVED Slumdog! I honestly couldn't wrap my mind around people living in those extreme conditions. It was an eye-opener.

Jules said...

It sounds like you had an amazing dinner! It sounds so good. I like trying different things, so that sounds like my kind of place :)

Slumdog was an excellent movie and it is extremely sad when you know it isn't just acting, it's real life.

Shoshanah said...

Rabbit pate? I'm not sure if I'd like it, but I'd be willing to try.

And I did like Slumdog Millionaire, and do feel for the kids in the movie. However, I do think it said something that they chose to cast children from the slums. And while they do now have the means to change their lives how much are they supposed to be doing for the kids? Should they send them to boarding schools in a first world countries? Then want about their families? And what about all the other families living in the slums? I believe they've set of funds for each child and are paying for them to go to school. But its not quite so easy to change the world.

Treasure Ann said...

I can't believe these children were not compensated for being in the movie and having a better home. I wonder if they got any money at all. We must pray for these countries and especially the children who have to live in such sufferable conditions. It is so unbelievable. Makes me wonder about the producers and directors. They should have stepped in and made sure these children and their families were taking care of. Besides, they are form the same country.

Danielle Moss said...

I KNEW you'd like this but didn't know you'd like it this much because it was so sad. It was a beautiful film though.

Made me want to adopt from India. How about you?

Not that this matters, but weren't those children BEAUTIFUL?! I think the little girl and the older girl that played Latika are both striking.

I want details on that fancy restaurant. I know you'll never post it on your blog. And I think that's classy of you :)

Heather said...

That sounds like a fun weekend. I loved Slumdog Millionaire also.

Sara said...

Those children were so precious. It breaks my heart they have to live in such conditions.

On another note, the restaurant sounds like something my husband would LOVE. We'll have to check it out if we're in Houston.

midnight macaroons said...

I'm so happy that you posted about Textile. I told Richard that I was waiting to her your review. Thanks so much for the site. I've been reading through it and have a list of new places I want to try out. I'll share my reviews with you too.

We have a surgeon friend who's from India. He spends 2 weeks over in India giving free surgeries to those in need. He has brought back reports and pictures that would melt your heart. That's why we are so involved in medical missions. India was one of our first countries to send medical supplies to. It really makes you appreciate being an American and having access to so much. We are such a spoiled nation. But we can use what we have to bless others.

Carrie said...

I haven't read all the comments, but there's been something that's bugged me since I hold the whole story about the house being bulldozed. (Beside's the fact that the police were quoted as saying we didn't know it was *that* boy's house... if it were another boy, no biggie.) Anyway, the other question I had -- why is a child who starred in such a successful movie STILL in the slums? I mean, who got rich off this deal?! (I'm really not that educated in pop culture, so perhaps they actually did get fairly compensated... anyway, I'm going to bed now. My rant is finished.)

Sweet Simplicity said...

I watched that this weekend too. It was great, but intense and heart breaking.

In This Wonderful Life said...

oh my goodness!! that is SO sad :( I hate that and I wish it could be stopped/helped. I want to see the movie...and I want to eat at the restaurant! YUM!