10.05.2009

I’m so over airport food!



I’ve heard people say you can eat healthy while traveling. Sometimes I wonder how much these people actually travel. Yes, you can eat healthy but it is much harder than eating healthy at home.

Last week I was connecting at the Las Vegas airport from Sacramento. Packing a lunch was not an option because I was coming from a hotel. It was lunchtime and I was getting a little hungry. I picked up a sandwich at Wolfgang Puck Express. I chose the grilled chicken sandwich with pesto. I know the pesto is not super healthy but the sandwiches were pre-made so I couldn’t ask them to hold the pesto. I figured a little pesto wouldn’t be that bad and if the sandwich had too much pesto I could scrape it off. The grilled chicken sandwich and a diet coke rang up at $15.07. Yikes- good thing it was a work trip and my expense account was paying.

I found a place to sit and started opening the sandwich. I noticed a nutritional information sticker on the back. Most places in the airport don’t have the nutritional info listed, so I didn’t see it when I purchased the sandwich. The sandwich had 750 calories with 46 fat grams. OMG… I ate ¼ of it and threw the rest away.

Frustrating!

20 comments:

AndreaLeigh said...

that's just crazy! I wonder if they buttered the bread? surely pesto alone isn't worth 46 fat grams.

Sweet Simplicity said...

Wow! That is a ton of calories! I always eat horrible when I am travelling.

Shoshanah said...

Its ridiculous how much many you wind up spending in an airport. As for airport food, my favorite terminal is probably the JetBlue terminal at JFK. If you've never flown through there, I'd make a point to eventually.

Suburban Princess said...

Wow! I wonder what was in it to make it so fattening! How much pesto was on it!

Brittney said...

I find it so hard to eat healthy when I am traveling too because you are out of your normal day-to-day routine. I typically will grab fast food hamburger at least once while I am gone..... What a surprise though at that sandwich!! 750 calories?!

Deb said...

YIKES all the way around!

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

The Vegas airport charged me $5.50 for a large Fiji water .... WHAT?!?! and I bought it because my company paid for it!

midnight macaroons said...

Preach it! I save all my calories for the day of travel and try to find something not fried. All that fried food and flying makes me bloated. I drink as much water before and after my trip. And I started taking advantage of the hotel gyms. Even if 20 minutes on the treadmill or bike. Makes me feel less guilty.

Nashville we ordered two chicken baskets and paid $35!!! It wasn't much food at all. My husband was still hungry. So he purchased a $12.00 sandwich and $5.00 water. That added up to $52.00 total for disgusting food. Thank goodness for expense accounts, LOL!

Rachel H. said...

Wow!! That is so frustrating!! I know how you feel, and I hate traveling and that's one of the primary reasons.

jana said...

Craziness! I'm always shocked when I look at nutritional information on things like sandwiches - which you expect to be healthy. The day that someone discovers that people who watch their weight don't JUST want to eat salad for every meal, they are going to make a fortune.

Katie said...

Seriously? A 750 calorie sandwich? I'm shocked!! That is absurd. You may as well eat a burger.

Also, I don't think I realized pesto was all that unhealthy. Guess I shouldn't be so liberal with it on my pasta!

AmyT said...

HOLY smokes!!! That is just insane!!!!!!!! On all accounts!

THE Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness! That's horrible... and must be extremely frustrating. It's so hard to eat healthy when you're not at home.

Jill said...

Oh my stars!!! Those are serious calories!

Jules said...

For a sandwich with grilled chicken, that is pretty scary! I agree that it is a lot harder to eat healthy while you're on the road. You have to really think about it and make special trips. Thank goodness for your expense account though, because the prices are out of control too.

LWLH said...

That is craziness!!!

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

Oh my gosh! I wonder what was IN it? Fried butter??

Kassie said...

Ugh, I totally know what you mean. Who are these people that can eat healthy while traveling?! It's practically impossible in airports.

Jennifer said...

I'm not sure I realized a sandwich could have that many calories! (Or one that's grilled chicken and pesto anyway!)

Abbi said...

it is so hard to eat healthy while traveling....it's so easy to grab a burger of pizza!!!
hope all is well!!!??