10.02.2009

Company & Cake Balls

Last weekend my Houston friends, Lindsay, John and their daughter Caroline, visited me in San Anotnio. We had a nice, relaxing weekend. We thought about going to Sea World but my famous friend Leslie, who does the Shamu Show, was in Germany so we decided to wait until she’s working.

We went to the Riverwalk for a boat ride and dinner. We also shopped at a posh boutique (not on the Riverwalk). I purchase my first pair of Hanky Panky panties. I’ve heard so much about Hanky Panky and how comfortable they are. I was a little worried about the “one size fits all.” How is it possible for everyone’s butt to be comfortable in the same size panties? I don’t know how it works but I love them; I’m hooked.







Lindsay brought me this cute, vintage curtain holder. I love it! They also brought candied pecans~ very good and very dangerous.



Everyone that reads my blog knows how I feel about being outdoors. Since moving into the town house, I have to water the yard and plants. It's terrible. Caroline enjoys watering the grass and plants, so I decided to be nice and let her.




Since I had company for the weekend, I decided to try the famous Cake Ball Recipe that all my blogger friends are baking. The Cake Balls were a little time consuming but it was worth it. I had planned on decorating the Cake Balls but, as always, I didn’t have enough time. Next time I’ll get more creative.



If you’re not familiar with Cake Balls, here are the steps. As I was researching how to make Cake Balls, I found several variations in the steps.

Bake a Cake- Use any cake mix and bake according to package instructions. You can bake in round pans or a 9x13 pan, whatever you want.

Crumble the Cake- Some recipes say to crumble the cake while it’s warm and others said to crumble it after it has cooled. I waited for the cake to cool and crumbled it with two forks. As I was crumbling the cake with the forks, my arms started to hurt. I realized I should be working out and not baking.



Icing- Add a container of store bought icing. I know, store bought icing, gross… but it’s not bad in this recipe. Some online recipes said to add only ¾ of the icing, some said to add the entire container, some sites said to add the icing at room temperature, and others said to zap it in the microwave for 25 seconds. I added the entire container and zapped it in the microwave. Since my arms were sore from crumbling the cake, I thought if the icing were a little warm it might help with the blending process. Stir the icing into the cake mix until it is completely blended and you can no longer see the icing. I used a fork. As I was blending, I would mash the icing into the crumbled cake.



Roll- Roll the mixture into balls. Put the Cake Balls on a wax paper lined cookie sheet. I read it was helpful to use a tablespoon or cookie scoop when scooping and rolling the balls. I tried using a tablespoon and it was messy. I ended up using my hands; I thought it was easier and faster. I had to rinse my hands a few times during the process because they were too sticky.


Freeze- Freeze the Cake Balls for at least 30 minutes.

Dip- Using a double boiler or the microwave, melt “dipping” chocolate or candy. I bought the German Chocolate Bar on the baking aisle. Using a fork, gently dip the Cake Ball into the chocolate and set aside on wax paper.

Decorate and Package- You can decorate with sprinkles, white chocolate, icing, anything you want. I added a stick but you can also put each ball into a mini cupcake liner. The fun part is being creative. I packaged a few Cake Balls in clear bags and tied the bags with ribbon for my Pawpaw's birthday. If you make cake balls, let me know. I want to see your creations.

18 comments:

Suburban Princess said...

Sounds like a great weekend!
I made the Oreo pops last week and blogged about them - there are photos of them on my blog!

Jill said...

I can't wait to try this! They look delicious!

Angie said...

Sounds fun! I want to try the Hanky Pankies and the Cake Balls! You can learn so much good info from blogs, ha ha!
Have a good weekend!!

Miss Sweet Tea said...

You always do the best tutorials! I made cake balls once and it was a big disaster. Actually, it was fun but so time consuming. Yours look great!

Your weekend sounds like it was great. And that was so nice of you to let Caroline water the plants :)

Rachel H. said...

Those look delicious!! I'm going to have to try these! :)

Sweet Simplicity said...

Cake balls are so addicting!!

midnight macaroons said...

Awww, Caroline is adorable. It looks like y'all had a great time. And those cake balls look fantastic. However, I'm dieting and I know that they would be dangerous to have in the house. I'd eat the whole batch. I LOVE cake!!!

LWLH said...

Great tutorial..I want to try them! :)

Shoshanah said...

I've been seeing these cake balls all the time and they do look really good. I'm going to have to try to make them sometime!

Petunia said...

Cake balls sound yummy!
I've always wondered about Hanky Pankys, also, and if they were worth the price!

Danielle Moss said...

Those look AMAZING. We should do that when I come visit {if we have time!}. We do have to bake something.

And maybe sew a throw pillow. Can we do that? ;)

Hanky pankys are amazing. I was just like you. Wasn't sure, tried them, and now they're all I wear. The best thing you can do is find them on sale and stock up.

How are you feeling? Hopefully we can catch up this weekend.

xoxo

AmyT said...

I so want to do the cake balls....I read a receipe for them at Christmas...for the red velvet one's mmmm I can't wait to try it!!! Thanks for sharing!!

Kate said...

YUM YUM YUM!

Caroline is adorable!

Anonymous said...

aww how cute! I LOVE cake balls!

Leah said...

Those look delicious!

I just found your blog and I just love it. I'm looking forward to following.

Laura said...

Sounds like you had a great weekend!!! Those are the best.
I've made cakeballs for a few years now and I have found that the best way is to add the icing while the cake is still warm and use your mixer to mix it up. If the cake is still warm the frosting melts and mixes easier. Then I let the mixture get to room temp before putting it in the freezer for a bit to firm up before rolling. It takes a time or two of making them to figure out what works best for you! But they are well worth it!!!

In This Wonderful Life said...

what a FUN weekend! That little girl is precious! And those cake balls, YUM! thanks for sharing :)

Anonymous said...

Good dispatch and this enter helped me alot in my college assignement. Thank you seeking your information.