3.01.2009

Weekend Update, Brother Visiting

Every year to kick off the Houston Rodeo, Houstonians celebrate with a three day BBQ Cook-Off. Competitors from around the state cook up their best BBQ for the grand prize.

You must know one of the competitors to have the chance to enter their tent and sample their BBQ. Saturday Lindsay and John invited Jarrett and me to join them in one of the cook-off tents. Lindsay’s co-worker’s brother is a part of a cook-off team~ that's how we were able to enter. It was a great time and the food was delicious.





Yum... Jan (Lindsay's co-worker) made 60 pounds of coleslaw.



The Group... Caroline, Lindsay's parents, John, Jill, Lindsay, and Jarrett




After dinner we walked around the cook-off and spotted this booth,
Deep Fried Oreos! It wouldn't be a true Texas carnival without a bunch of deep fried items (items that shouldn't be fried because they're fattening enough). I had never tried fried oreos or any fried treat. Lindsay's mom decided to purchase an order for us to sample.






The inside gooey and melty.

Update~ Andrea asked me if I enjoyed the fried oreo. The batter around the oreo reminded me of funnel cake batter. Years ago, I volunteered to work in the K*dak booth at the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta. At the Balloon Fiesta I had a bad experience with funnel cake. As a result, I don’t love funnel cake. The fried oreo was super sweet. I ate half of the oreo and passed it to John. It was good but I could never eat an entire order and I probably won’t eat a fried oreo again.

21 comments:

Shea said...

I saw deep fried Oreos at the Ky state fair last summer. Hope they were good!

jlc said...

WOW! That looks like a LOT of fun. And ohhh soo yummy!!! Fried Oreos??? Are you serious?!

AndreaLeigh said...

so fun, jill! the husband tried a deep friend snickers at the fair this year. he liked it; i didn't. how was the oreo?

Kate said...

Deep fried oreos? Sign me up!

Petunia said...

OMG, deep fried oreos, that is horrible! But I bet it was absolutely delicious--haha!

penny lane said...

i don't know if could handle a fried oreo. i do however, looooove funnel cake. it's amazing. so i had 2 'spottings' in the passed day and a half and they were jessica alba with her baby girl (sooo cute) and the guy that won make me a supermodel, perry. he's pretty hot.
hope that all is well and that you had a fabulous weekend!!

Abbi said...

yummy!! all of it looked SO good!! and looked like fun! very cute pics!
there is NOTHING like a bb-q!
love some fried oreos...have you tried snickers?? they're better...lol...if that's possible!

Jules said...

Sounds like a fun weekend! Hubby and I ordered fried oreos at the Jesey shore and thank goodness we split the order. They were very sweet and rich.

midnight macaroons said...

I think I would have gone into a diabetic coma....and I'm not diabetic, ha! That's over the top. But I know I would have tried it; and loved it!!!

Sandra said...

Oh my goodness! That is a double whammy for sure! I think my cholesterol went up reading your post ;-)

In This Wonderful Life said...

Looks like so much fun! Love the pics and I'd love to eat all that BBQ!! Have a good Monday :)

Jenji said...

YUM!!!

Purple Flowers said...

It looks like a great time had by all!

Amy said...

Jody's cousin, Molly, lives in Houston and was planning to go the BBQ cook off thingy. Maybe yall passed by each other or something.

I hate to say it, but I probably could have eaten the whole order of fried oreos. I am a big sweets eater.

Woman Interrupted said...

Rodeo is something I would really miss if I moved away from Houston!

I tried a fried Oreo a couple of years ago. It was soft and yucky. and oh, so greasy!

Wearing Mascara said...

Wow now I have a BBQ craving... THANKS! Haha :-) Looks like you had a great time! xoxo

Whitney said...

Deep friend Oreos? I've never heard of such a thing! Sounds heart-clogging delicious though!

So, after your year of sponsoring Gracie is up, can you sponsor her again? Or bring her to the US? I'm just curious.

Danielle Moss said...

I have never heard of deep fried oreos. Crazy...

I really want to come visit soon! I wish I had been there for this fantastic event!

melissa said...

What a fun time! Great photos - you are just gorgeous in every single photo I see - even at the rodeo! ;)

melissa

Jules said...

I love love love cole slaw. And my husband loves fried oreos. :)

Janet said...

What a fun time and the weather was perfect. The food looks great.
Love, Mom