10.07.2008

Last week we celebrated two birthdays, my brother and grandfather. Their birthdays are September 29 and September 30.

Jarrett is the nicest guy you’ll ever meet. I’m not just saying it because he’s my brother. :)People that are not related to him also say he’s the nicest guy they've ever met. Jarrett is compassionate, generous, and kind to everyone he meets. After Hurricane Ike Jarrett called to check up on my house and me. I gave him the details and told him the worst part was throwing out everything in my refrigerator and freezer (no power for 4 days). I know it could’ve been so much worse and I’m thankful it wasn’t. However, it felt really wasteful throwing away everything. The next day Jarrett deposited money in my paypal account. I called him and ask why. Jarrett said, “I know you’ll be replacing everything from your refrigerator and I just wanted to help you out.” I didn’t ask for it or need it, he’s just really sweet and thoughtful.



My grandfather, Pawpaw, is a World War 2 veteran. He is warm, kind, and hilarious. His generation has been called “The Greatest Generation.” It’s so true. Pawpaw can fix anything. Four years ago, I went to Italy. I packed my hairdryer along with an international outlet adapter. Well, the hairdryer blew! It no longer worked in Italy or at home (the adapters never work). I brought it to Pawpaw and he replaced the plug and just like that it worked! Not many people can or would take the time to fix a “blown” hairdryer. My grandmother has dementia and Pawpaw takes care of her… he cooks, cleans, gives her medicine, and takes her to the doctor. She sleeps most of the day and I know he’s lonely. He recently told me he prays that he will live longer than she does. He worries about who will take care of her if he passes away first and he wants to be there for her until the end... so sweet. I love the picture below. I gave Pawpaw some new pants for his birthday. The next day I went to their house for a visit and he said, "Jill, I sure am proud of my new britches."



Happy Birthday Jarrett and Pawpaw!



13 comments:

Lori said...

Jill, what a great post...you have some fabulous people in your life!
Happy Birthday to you Pawpaw!! I'm sure he looks smashing in his new "britches"! lol
Happy Birthday to Jarrett too!! What an incredibly kind and thoughtful brother you have...he comes from a terrific family! :)

Britt said...

I have to agree with Lori...this is a great post.
That was super thoughtful of your brother...wish my brother was like that. But we hardly speak to each other. Been like that since we were about 10 (me) and 9 (him). Happens when you've got a bookworm/nerdy girl and a popular athlete boy. Don't exactly mesh. :-)
And your grandpa sounds sooo sweet.
Happy Birthday to them both!

Petunia said...

Your brother and PawPaw sound like wonderful people! You are so lucky to have them! We called my grandfather "PawPaw", too, but unfortunately he passed away when I was young.

Danielle Moss said...

Happy birthday to both Jarrett and your PawPaw!

They both sound great. I hope you got Jarrett a fancy pair of britches too. :)

Heather said...

Awwww, this is so sweet!

Amy said...

What a great post to them - I think I am fixin to cry.

I also wanted to say that you have been on my mind and in my prayers - for your trip to China, for a great man to share your life with, etc. - I know God has great things planned for you.

Anonymous said...

Jill thank you for your kind words! And you're right about Pop - he is part of the greatest generation! It's amazing how our society and culture has evolved.

And pop's britches are pretty cool too. You should see if you can find the "cover-alls" version of those!

Thanks for everything. Love you

Anonymous said...

Oops, forgot to type my name. Anonymous = jarrett :)

*Pink Preppy Party Girl* said...

I would love to be added to your blog roll too! Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Amy Maze said...

so sweet! we gotta love the men in our lives, but it makes finding one equally as good as these much harder!

Jill said...

Awwwww Jill! What an incredible post!! Happy birthday all around!! Sounds like you are surrounded by some WONDERFUL men in your life...that is so awesome! I have been thinking of you lately, hope things are okay! Hugs my friend!

Deb said...

Belated Happy Birthday to Jarrett and Paw Paw!

Janet said...

Thanks so much for celebrating birthdays while we were gone. Hopefully we will have no more vacations during family birthdays. Yes, Dad is really special. I experienced that growing up. I have many fond memories. He(and Mom)just continued being fabulous throughout our lives as you kids were babies and growing up.
Jarrett is indeed a very special brother and son. Everybody loves Jarrett and he loves everybody. He is always there and cares so much.
Love, Mom